Vice President Data Science
Statoil is an international energy company with operations in more than 30 countries. Building on 40 years of experience from oil and gas production on the Norwegian continental shelf, we are committed to accommodating the world's energy needs in a responsible manner, applying technology and creating innovative business solutions. We are headquartered in Norway with approx. 21,000 employees worldwide, and are listed on the New York and Oslo stock exchanges.
Statoil has launched a company-wide digital roadmap supported by a digital centre of excellence (CoE) to accelerate value creation from digital technologies. The digital roadmap consists of seven programmes which covers the whole of Statoil's value chain.
Digitalisation can improve safety and security, increase value creation from our operations and reduce our carbon footprint. The Digital CoE will develop and manage the overall digital roadmap, ensuring that Statoil has the right portfolio of digital projects to realise the identified potential.
The Digital CoE will develop and manage expert resources within digital program management, data science, analytics, cognitive computing, software development and data management. Further, the Digital CoE will support with broad competence building within digital topics across the organisation.
Statoil has always been a leader in application of cutting edge IT technologies and we have accumulated vast quantities of data - 26 petabytes today and 2500 petabytes expected by 2030. However, the full potential of these data is yet to be unlocked using advances in technology such as cloud computing and microservice architectures, application of advanced analytical algorithms within machine learning, deep learning, cognitive computing and artificial intelligence, and most importantly – your passion and creativity!
Data science will be a core capability in realising Statoil's digital transformation. As Vice president for data science you will get the opportunity to shape a new unit in Statoil, use your skills and creativity to solve challenges across our business, and contribute to the transformation of Statoil to a future-fit energy company. You will manage a team of leaders within advanced analytics, cognitive computing and software development, and have resource responsibility for 20-30 highly competent employees.
- Lead, develop and expand a team 20-30 data scientists and software developers.
- Set the direction for data science in Statoil
- Collaborate with business leaders across the organisation to shape and define new projects where advanced analytics and cognitive techniques can be applied
- Prioritise and staff digital projects with the right data scientists and software developers.
- Drive systematical competence development of data scientists across Statoil
- Ensure that Statoil has sufficient data science capabilities to deliver on the digital roadmap
- Act as a contact person towards external partners and suppliers within data science
- Contribute in developing data science and advanced analytics best practices across Statoil
- Solid understanding of the energy industry
- Knowledge of mathematical algorithms for regression analysis, time-frequency domain forecasting, probabilistic models, supervised classification and unsupervised learning and hands-on experience in applying those algorithms
- Knowledge of deep learning, cognitive computing and artificial intelligence would be an advantage
- Proven experience in leading and inspiring a high-performing team by setting the direction, empower the team and deliver result
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to explain digital concepts and technologies to business leaders.
- PhD or Master degree within mathematics, physics, statistics, operations research, engineering or related field with focus on data analysis
- 7 - 10 years of relevant experience is preferred
- Relevant experience may compensate for formal qualifications
- Strong ability and desire to influence decisions and drive improvements
- Innovative and creative combined with result orientation and commercialism
- Strong interest in understanding external digital opportunities and how that can contribute to improve Statoil’s performance
- Networking skills and a proven collaborator
- High integrity and ability to role model our values
We offer competitive salaries, a general bonus scheme, good pension and insurance schemes and a comprehensive welfare package. Statoil wants to ensure diversity in terms of gender, age and culture.
Make sure that we are able to give your application consideration: Please attach copies of your diplomas, certificates and grades in English or Norwegian (or another Scandinavian language). Applications submitted without such attachments will unfortunately not be evaluated. If you are in the process of completing a degree, please upload an official temporary transcript or other document describing subjects and grades completed to this point.
Our values are to be courageous, open, collaborative and caring. We believe in these qualities, which are essential for building an even stronger Statoil. If you can identify with them, you could be the one to strengthen our team.
Candidates are expected to openly offer all relevant information about themselves during the recruitment process.
All permanent and temporary hires will be screened against relevant sanctions lists to ensure compliance with sanctions law and increase security.
If you have questions about the position or the process please send an email to Digirecr@statoil.com
For more information contact
VP Torbjørn Folgerø, phone 971 93 221
VP Ellinor Grude, phone 916 13 616
Please be aware that no applications or attachments to applications will be accepted via email